The Discover Lite workspace is a highly simplified experience from the Discover Pro tools yet still offers some powerful and flexible options for reporting and querying of data.
The workspace includes:
- A simplified toolbar (green box below)
- A simplified toolbox (orange box below)
- Simplified drop zones (red box below)
- Hierarchy, Measure and Element Trees (blue box below)
Discover Lite Ribbon
The Discover Lite ribbon appears along the top of the canvas, and it changes according to the selected visual type and the query components. The menu displays a few key functions from the Discover module, to assist in analyzing the query. Click here for details about these functions.
Users can change the query’s visualization from the visuals panel (red highlight below) by selecting a visual category. From the visual’s sub-menu, choose the required visual. Click here to learn more about the visualizations.
The tree panels expose the data models metadata in a tree format. From here, select the data that you want to include in the query.
There are 3 trees:
- Dimensions: contains all the models tables (called dimensions); each dimension can be expanded to exposed the hierarchies within it.
- Elements: exposes all of the attributes (called elements) inside of a selected hierarchy.
- Measures: exposes all the quantitative data (measures) in the model.
On the right side of the canvas, you’ll find the Dimensions, Measures, and Elements panels (orange highlight), as well as the Drop Zones (green highlight). To build your query, you must add hierarchies and/ or elements and measures to the drop zones.
Hierarchies reside within the dimensions; open the required dimension, find the relevant hierarchy, and drag it onto the drop zones. To add only specific elements within a hierarchy, right click on the hierarchy from the Dimensions panel and select View Elements. Select the required elements wither manually, or using the Members Search.
To add values to the query, find the required measure(s) in the Measures panel and add it to the Values drop zone.
You can add existing business logic from the Measures and Elements panel. Click here to learn how.