Sorting allows the user to choose the order in which data and items are presented in a visualization. Quick sorting offers a context-driven selection of what to sort and a set of basic sort algorithms through a point-and-click menu option. For more advanced sorting options, users can access the Sort wizard dialog which offers an ability to create one or more sorts; with greater control over the sorting logic and mechanics. It is also the venue to edit and refine quick sorts created through query interactions.
The explanation around how sorts work is explained further in the Sort Wizard topic.
The sort type determines the overall sorting approach to be used. The type options change depending on the hierarchies chosen and the data source type. Hierarchy elements are always presented in their 'natural sort order' by default. The natural order is usually defined in the underlying data model and is typically alphabetical. Specifying a sort, breaks that natural ordering.
- Values: sorts the hierarchy elements based on numerical values driving the item that triggered the Quick Sort click.
- Labels: sorts the hierarchy elements using their labels or captions.
- Custom: sorts the hierarchy elements in the order they were selected from the elements tree - as opposed to their natural order regardless of selection order. Since this is effectively a "no sort" option, all other sorting options are disabled.
- Inverted: this sorts the elements of a multi-level hierarchy such that parent elements appear after child elements.
- Note: This capability is only available for MS OLAP and SAP BW hierarchies.
- Natural: this is effectively the "unsorted" option, returning element order to the way it was defined in the underlying data model.
Quick Sorts are driven by the interactive clicks of the end user - so they take the context of the click into account when determining the 'ingredients' of the sort algorithm.
Right Click Context Menu
For grid visualizations, right click on the column or row header to choose the Quick Sort option and the type sub-options.
For other visualizations, right click on legend or axis items to sort the relevant hierarchy.
From specific hierarchies (blue chips): Right click on a blue chip from the drop zones to specifically sort the chosen hierarchy
Across one or more hierarchies in Drop Zone: click on the drop zones menu to sort across all the hierarchies currently in the drop zone
You can review and edit quick sort selections from the Sort Wizard:
- To open the sort wizard:
- Click the Sort button from the Query ribbon, or
- Click the context menu of the sort panel on the canvas, and select edit
- To delete quick sorts, click Remove Sorts from the Sort drop down in the Query ribbon, or select remove from the sort's context menu on the canvas
Right click on the header of the column you want to sort. In this example, the entire grid will be sorted by values in descending order. To achieve this, the value being sorted must be added as the top column or row. Then right click on the value header.
Navigate down to Quick Sort, then across to Sort Values.
Select either Sort Ascending to sort values from lowest to highest, or Sort Descending to sort from highest to lowest.
Right click on a row or column header belonging to the member hierarchy you want to sort. In the example below, the countries rows will be sorted in reverse-alphabetical order.
Navigate down to Quick Sort, then across to Sort Labels.
Select Sort Ascending to sort alphabetically, or Sort Descending to sort in reverse-alphabetical order.
Note: review the sorting selections by opening the Sort Wizard from the Home or Query ribbon.