Rather than adding an entire hierarchy to the query, users can open the elements tree of the relevant hierarchy and add only specified elements to the query. This is useful if you want to run the query on only some of the elements in the hierarchy, rather than all of them
There are several ways to add member elements to the query, including single selection, multi-selection, formula creation, and more.
To select all of the members in a hierarchy, simply add the hierarchy from the Dimensions panel to the Drop Zone. To do this, either:
- Double click the hierarchy
- Drag and drop the hierarchy in the relevant zone
- Right click on the hierarchy and choose a drop zone
Member Selection from the Elements Tree
To select multiple member elements at once, without selecting each element's checkbox:
- Hold the SHIFT key down to select contiguous members without selecting their checkboxes. Right click on the selection and choose an action from the context menu (read Context Menu Selections below for details).
- Hold the CTRL key down to select non-contiguous members without selecting their checkboxes. Right click on the selection and choose an action from the context menu (read Context Menu Selections below for details).
- Use the List Builder wizard to import a list of members and add them to the query.
- Find and select members using the Members Search Wizard.
- Enable Elimination mode to deselect elements in order to add them to the query see below for details).
Member Selection from Parent-Child Hierarchies
If working with an OLAP or BW model, you can click on the parent nodes of a parent-child hierarchy and traverse the underlying hierarchy to find the elements you are interested in querying.
This option is useful if you want to add only a few elements to the query. Instead of selecting elements, all elements in the hierarchy are selected and marked as eliminated, and the user deselects the elements that should be added to the query.
Right click on the required hierarchy and select View Elements:
Click the Elimination Mode button from the Elements panel. All the elements will be selected (for elimination) and crossed out:
Deselect the elements you want to include in the query:
To switch back to selection mode, click the Selection Mode button .