When composing PQL and MDX statements and expressions, different data objects need to be referenced.
The syntax for each object is provided in the following sections.
- Dimensions or Tables represent tables of data in a data model
- Hierarchies or Attributes represent columns in tables
- Hierarchy Elements or Members represent the different items in a column
- Values or Measures represent numeric aggregations that have been defined on certain columns in a table
- Data Points or Tuples represent a cell or point of data in a model
- Lists or Sets represent a collection of hierarchy elements or members
- Self Calc is used to perform recursive calculations based on a given member within a hierarchy
Some data objects are only applicable in some of the PQL calculation engines:
- Only Dimensions/Tables and Hierarchies/Columns objects are relevant in the Granular engine
- All data objects are relevant in the Semantic and Context engines
- The objects are NOT relevant in the Common and Dynamic engines when used outside the context of the other 3 engines
Like PQL, these objects are only applicable to MDX Semantic functions. They will not operate directly in VBA methods.