Data points are used in line, point, lollipop, area, stream, plotted, and radar charts to indicate where the x- and y-axis values intersect. Data points can be enabled or disabled, but enabling them can make it easier to read the chart. Shapes, meanwhile, can be added to these charts by placing a hierarchy in the Shapes drop-zone.
Shape and Data Point Formatting
To adjust the formatting for shapes and data points, open the Formatting panel and choose Shapes from the drop-down. Alternatively, enable the formatting selection tool and click select a data point from the visual.
If your query has a hierarchy in the Shapes drop zone, the visual will display several different shapes on the data points. To adjust all shapes, select Default from the second drop-down; to adjust only one shape type, select the relevant shape from the drop-down or from the shape legend (using the default selection tool).
You'll be able to set the following formatting preferences:
- Show Data Points: show or hide the data points.
- Type: choose the fill type for the data points.
- Base Size: adjust the size of the data point shapes.
- Shape Outline: change the shape outline.
- Color: change the shape color.
- Data Point Color: by default, the shapes/ data points are the same color as the data series.
- Custom: change the shape color.
- Thickness: change the thickness of the shape outline.
In this example, the elements in the Channel legend (red highlight below) were edited to display a triangle and a plus sign: