Data points are used in line, point, lollipop, area, stream, plotted, and radar charts to indicate where the x- and y-axis values intersect. Data points can be enabled or disabled, but enabling them can make it easier to read the chart. Shapes, meanwhile, can be added to these charts by placing a hierarchy in the Shapes drop-zone.
Shape and Data Point Formatting
To adjust the formatting for shapes and data points, open the Formatting panel and choose Shapes from the drop-down. Alternatively, enable the formatting selection tool and click select a data point from the visual.
If your query has a hierarchy in the Shapes drop zone, the visual will display several different shapes on the data points.
- To adjust all shapes, select Default from the second drop-down.
- To adjust shapes for only one hierarchy in the visual, select the relevant shape from the drop-down or from the shape legend (using the default selection tool).
You'll be able to set the following formatting preferences:
- Shape: choose the shape to be used to indicate the data point.
- Type: choose the fill type for the data points.
- Base Size: adjust the size of the data point shapes.
- Shape Fill: set the fill color for shapes; this can differ from the stroke color.
- Stroke Color: set the color of the shapes/ data point outlines. This can differ from the shape color.
- Data Point Color: by default, the shapes/ data point outlines are same color as the data series as set from Color.
- Custom: change the color of the shapes/ data point outlines.
- Thickness: change the thickness of the shape outline.
When a hierarchy is specified (red highlight below), both the Shape Fill and Shape Outline windows are enabled (purple highlight below). If a hierarchy is not specifies, only the Shape Outline window will be enabled.
In this example, the elements in the Channel legend (red highlight below) were edited to display a triangle and a plus sign:
In this example, the shape fill and the shape outline were customized for both hierarchies in the visual: