You create parameters as follows:
- Click on the Global Parameter icon (red highlight) in the Query Tools area of the Advanced Settings ribbon:
- To create a new Global Parameter, navigate to the Content folder and click the blue cross next to ‘Create Parameter’.
- Fill in the details in the fields, as follows:
The Global Parameter dialog is displayed:
This shows details of existing parameters and default value for new ones.
The Create Parameter dialog is displayed:
- Name: A name for the Parameter, must be unique within the selected Content folder.
- Type: Either a Discrete List or Continuous. A Discrete List contains a set of values contained within a list. You enter these in the Value Box. A Continuous parameter is in the form of continuously variable set of values.
- Display Type: Specifies how the parameter is to be displayed for selection. The options depend on the Parameter type. For a Discrete List, you have the choice of Drop Down, List Box, Buttons (default), or Text Box.
- Value Box: Used for specifying values for a Discrete List. Separate the individual values by commas.
- Display Type: Either a Slider or Text Box. A Slider enables the selection of the Parameter value by adjusting the position of a slider. A Text Box allows the entry of a value directly in a text box.
- Minimum: The Minimum value for the Parameter.
- Maximum: The Maximum value for the Parameter.
Note: It is not possible to enter values less than the Minimum or Greater than the Maximum in the Text Box (if this option is chosen).
- Step: Specifies the step amount between Parameter values.
- Default Value: Specifies the default value for the Parameter.
Attaching a Parameter
You attach a Parameter, as follows:
- Select the cell that the Parameter is to be attached to.
- Click Attach/Detach Parameters. The Attach/Detach Parameter dialog is displayed:
- Select the Parameter to use by clicking in the checkbox next to its name.
- Select the Math Operator to be applied by the Parameter. By default, this is always ADD (+).
- If you want to keep the Default Value that was specified when the Parameter was created, leave the checkbox checked. If you want to change this, uncheck the box and enter the new value in the Default value box.
- Click Apply to attach the Parameter to the selected cell(s).
- The Parameter will be displayed to the right of the Worksheet, examples of each are shown here:
This lists the Parameters available for use.
Discrete List – Drop-Down
Discrete List – List Box
Discrete List – Buttons
Discrete List – Text Box
Continuous - Slider
Continuous – Text Box
You detach a Parameter as follows:
- Select the cell(s) that the Parameter is attached to.
- Click Attach/Detach Parameters.
- Uncheck the box next to the named of the Parameter to be detached.
- Click Apply. The specified Parameter is detached from the cell(s).
The Attach/Detach Parameters dialog is displayed:
This lists all Parameters attached to the selected cell
Note: The checkbox next to a Parameter name may have a gray box in it. This is shown when multiple cells are selected and the relevant Parameter is not attached to ALL the selected cells.